After you create your project, you need to identify the location where you would like to place your modules. For rooftop solar, this is done by tracing an outline of the roof that you will be designing solar for, and then using Aurora's algorithms to convert that into a 3D model.
First, in the project sidebar on the left, click on Site Model and drag the green icon to the center of the house, or close to an edge facing the street (if applicable).
Outlining the roof
We will now begin to draw the roof.
- From the sidebar on the right, select the Draw Roof button to Mark Roof Edges.
- Move the crosshair to the top right corner of the building. Click to place a node.
- Continue to place nodes sequentially at any intersection where edges meet. After clicking on the first node, move your mouse left and click to place a node at the intersection of the eave and ridge line (node 2). Repeat this process for points 3 through 6.
If you make a mistake, click on the node and hit delete on your keyboard, or you can hit ctrl + Z (⌘ + Z on Mac) to undo the action. To continue drawing, return to the last existing node and double-click it.
- To complete the perimeter, hover your mouse over node 1 until the cursor turns into a pointing finger and the node is highlighted. Click on it to complete the roof shape.
Adding internal edges
After you complete the exterior of the roof, you need to mark the internal edges.
- Hover your mouse over node 2 until your cursor changes from a crosshair to a finger.
- Double click on node 2.
- Extend the resulting line down along the roof's ridge line to the opposing node (node 5) and click on it to close it.
We strongly recommend completely outlining perimeter of the building first before drawing the internal edges. For more information watch this video: 2D Site Diagram.
Creating roof structure
Once you are done with drawing the roof edges, click on the orange Analyze Roof Structure button at the top of the screen. Aurora will intelligently structure and apply azimuths or any rooftop setbacks you have preset to your model.
You can split any edge by double clicking on it to insert a node.