After you have completed your site and 3D model, you are ready to design a solar installation for the customer.
Click on the + button next to Design in the left hand sidebar and enter a design name - we are going with "Aurora Sample Design". You can also specify the $/W cost here, but we are going to leave it blank for now.
Creating a new design will bring you to Aurora's CAD layout view.
- Click on the Irradiance button in the top toolbar.
- Hover your mouse over the roof surface to retrieve point Irradiance, Solar Access, TSRF, and other values.
- Click on the magnifying glass button in the right hand sidebar, Roof Face Info, to pull up summary statistics for the roof surface.
To get interactive monthly charts click on Settings in the top right corner and check Monthly Irradiance / Solar Access. A window should appear on the irradiance map that shows monthly values for any point you hover over.
The shading analysis confirms the southeastern roof face is a good fit for solar panels.
Adding solar panels
You can place modules on your roof automatically or manually.
Manual module placement
- Click on the Solar Panels button in the sidebar on the right and select Solar Module (M).
- Fill in the information for the type of module you would like to input. Aurora has a vast database of components that you can star and make available in this list. For now, enter the following:
- Module: Aurora Sample Solar Panel
- Microinverter: Aurora Sample Micro-inverter [250 W]
- Rows: 2
- Orientation: Portrait
- Click on the roof surface to place your array.
- Now that you completed that exercise, we want to start with a clean slate. Undo the modules you just
placed by hitting ctrl + Z on your keyboard.
Fill Roof Face module placement
Much of the time, you're interested in fitting as many modules on a roof as possible and removing as necessary. Aurora's Fill Roof Face feature allows you to do this easily.
- Click on Solar Panels in the right hand side bar and select the Fill Roof Face (F) button in the submenu.
- Next, choose the 'Aurora Sample Solar Panel' from the drop down, and the 'Aurora Sample Micro-inverter [250 W]'.
- Click on the roof face to fill the available space with modules.