There are two types of dormers:
- Roof Extension Dormer – the dormer is part of the roof perimeter.
- Press-Fit Dormer – these are "dormers where the dormer is in the middle of the roof and is not an extension of the roof edge.
How to Model Roof Extension Dormers:
- Draw the perimeter as you normally do.
- Click and drag the node at the end of the ridge line, towards the node at the top of the ridge line and connect the bottom two nodes with a line. You should form a little triangle.
- Click on Analyze Roof Structure. Make sure the arrow in the little triangle is pointing to the base edge (long edge) of the triangle.
- Save, then click on 3D in the top left to see the results.
- Draw your dormer as you would a roof. You will typically place up to 5 nodes.
- Click and drag the bottom middle node up towards the top of the dormer and connect the two top nodes with a line. You should form a little triangle.
- Set the azimuth in the little triangle you just drew to point towards the flat edge. Also, make sure that the azimuths of the other two faces of the dormer point in opposite directions from each other.
- After having drawn your dormer, you need to ‘fit’ it to your roof in the 3D section. Lower the height of the building and elevate the height of your dormer.
- Fit the dormer to the sides of the building by lowering its orange edges or changing its height.