When manually designing a site model, you can use edit roof face to change the parameters of your roof design. Once an outline of a roof is drawn with the SmartRoof tool, you will automatically enter the edit roof mode. In the edit roof mode, you can unpitch a roof surface, change the roof parameters (pitch/slope, edge height, and roof length), and add folds and dormers to the structure.
Edge & face menu
Once an outline is drawn with the SmartRoof tool you will automatically enter the edit roof mode. Alternatively, left-click the roof section to open the edge & face menu on the right.
- In the edit roof mode, left-click the roof section you want to unpitch. Then click the unpitch button in the edge & face menu on the right. Alternatively, you can press delete or backspace on your keyboard once you’ve selected the roof section.
- You can adjust the pitch in the same menu. As a general rule, if the roof plane appears larger than the satellite imagery the pitch/slope will need to be increased and vice versa if the roof plane appears smaller.
- Changing the edge height - similar to altering the pitch, first utilize additional imagery to determine the eave heights. You can then adjust the edge (eave) height value in the edge and face menu (common for saltbox homes).
In Aurora, dormers are classified by the number of slopes. Aurora gives you the option to add three different types of dormers:
- Dormer with one slope
- Dormer with two slopes
- Dormer with three slopes
Left-click to select the dormer and move your cursor over your structure. The dormer will automatically match the azimuth or direction of the roof slope. Left-click to place the dormer at the intersection of the dormer's ridge and the roof's slope. Left-click and drag the external nodes of the dormer to resize.
You can add folds to your structure in the edit roof mode. Aurora gives you the option to add three different types of folds:
- Used when a pitched structure has a flat top section instead of a ridge.
- Used when there is a change in tilt in a roof face
- Used to create a dutch gable-type roof
Left-click on the type of fold you would like to insert. Move your cursor over to the roof and left-click to place.