Advanced Roles in Aurora allows admin users to create up to four custom roles within the Aurora app.
Note: Advanced Roles is available as an add-on to Custom Plans. To get access to Advanced Roles, reach out to your Customer Success Manager or Engagement Manager.
In this article, we’ll cover:
Creating and Editing Advanced Roles
Available under the Settings page in the Aurora application, navigate to the “Roles” tab to create, manage, and delete Roles in Aurora.
Up to four Advanced Roles may be created. To create a new Advanced Role, follow these steps:
1. Click “Create” on the Settings > Roles page
2. Enter a Role name
3. Configure permissions:
- All projects OR Assigned projects only. Manage visibility and access to projects.
- For tenants with Teams, admins can configure the role to view all team-enabled projects OR assigned projects only. To learn more about Teams, see here.
- Edit pricing. This setting controls the ability to adjust pricing for projects. When turned off, this setting restricts users from adjusting pricing by creating a read only experience in both Sales Mode and Design Mode. Fields that cannot be edited include: price per watt, flat price, incentives, adders, and discounts
- Access Design Mode. This setting controls access to designs in Design Mode. When turned off, this setting hides Design Mode from users, and users can only view designs within Sales Mode.
- Edit site model. For roles with access to Design Mode, this setting enables admins to restrict users from editing the site model within Design Mode.
4. Click “Save.”
After you’ve created an Advanced Role, you can Edit or Delete the role from the Roles page. You can only delete an Advanced Role when no user is assigned to that role.
Assigning Users to Roles
After you’ve set up an Advanced Role, you can assign your users to Roles in a few ways:
Assign from the User Page
When you create a new user from the Aurora app, you must select a role for that user. From the New user page under Settings, select the Role you’d like to assign for that user from the dropdown menu.
You can also change a user’s role after user creation. From the Edit user page under Settings, select the Role you’d like to re-assign for that user from the dropdown menu.
Bulk Assign Roles
From the Users and Licenses page under Settings, admins can multi-select users and re-assign their roles in bulk.
Simply select the users you’d like to reassign, and click “Change role” in the top right to select a new role assignment.
Assign via API
In addition to assigning roles through the Aurora app, Sync API users can assign roles when creating and updating users via the Users API. Read our technical documentation for more information.
Is Advanced Roles supported by the API?
Yes, Advanced Roles is supported by the Sync API; users must be on version 2022.09 or later of the API to access API support for Advanced Roles.
Please review the Users API documentation to learn more.
What if I use Secure Mode?
Secure Mode is a setting supported for Limited Team Member roles; when enabled, Secure Mode restricts Limited Team Members from editing site models. In order to activate Secure Mode for Limited Team Members, you must turn on the setting from the Roles page under Limited Team Member.
While Secure Mode still applies to the standard role of Limited Team Members, we recommend configuring a new Advanced Role that restricts site modeling moving forward.
If I update the permissions on an Advanced Role, will all of the users assigned to that role automatically receive the updated permissions?
Yes. When you update the access and permissions settings for an Advanced Role, simply save and refresh your browser to apply the new permissions.